Friday

1921

This is the second song

The year was 1920 & 1
Height of Mardi Gras
Saw her up dancing till dawn
She was the prettiest thing my eyes ever saw

She was 3 months from full grown
I was the first man she'd ever known
Told her to runaway to Mexico
But her daddy was sheriff and he'd not let her go

He was a cruel man who lived drink to drink
He'd kill his daughter if he saw her with me
He sold her hand to the Yankee that owned the line
I had find a way to keep our love alive

We held eachother and laid underneath the sky
I kissed her lips and we made love one last time
We were to meet out behind the bar
Where i saw her dancing that night of Mardi Gras

I got held up along the way
and I got there just a moment to late
I saw her there slumped on the ground
Her skull cracked, her blood all around

The years was 1920 & 1
The night of Mardi Gras
I held her in my arms till dawn
She was the last thing my eyes ever saw.

No comments: