Wednesday

A Wedding Gift

I assume my invitation was lost in the mail-
with no RSVP all tables will be full.
Still, I arrive at the ceremony at the correct time
to take my place on the Bride's side of the sanctuary.
Ignoring the open-mouthed stares
and the sharp intakes of breath
Concentrating instead,
on bare feet rhythmically slapping on hardwood;
on brushing away the discomfort of the cold pew on my upper thigh.
The smooth, worn surface resting comfortably against my spine,
I wait in silence.

The opening strands of organ signal your arrival.

I stand, directly in your path
my arms spread like wings,my legs akimbo
Standing, like da Vinci's Vitruvian man
Baring my flesh, baring my soul.
Locking on you eyes

So I can become the man who ruined your wedding.
So I won't be the man who will always love you anymore.

No comments: